Saturday, May 30, 2015

When Sincere Non-Catholic Christians Ask You What You Think of the Pope, What Do You Tell Them?

Stephen VI: The original Bad Pope

I asked this, among other things because one of the arguments of the Franboys is that being critical of the Pope confuses non-Catholics and makes our Faith less attractive or self-defeating or some such.

I don't agree, obviously, but it's not a completely unreasonable or irrational worry.

I asked this of my wife--a faithful Catholic Traditionalist who, like me is a recent convert but unlike me comes from a strong Evangelical Christian background.

She gave a great answer, but I don't want to prejudice the conversation by relating it here.

I have the impression that my online Catholic friends come from a diversity of backgrounds.

This is not a question for the Franboys. I know what you think and frankly I'm a bit tired of hearing it, especially as it usually is accompanied by insults, slander and hate directed against fellow Catholics.

So, for the rest of us, when sincere non-Catholic Christians ask you what you think of the Pope, what do you tell them? 

9 comments:

  1. I normally say, I love him and pray for him, but really I can't stand his actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do non-Catholic Christians understand that? Do you think that reinforces their belief that it doesn't really matter what official "church" they belong to as long as they love and follow Jesus?

      Delete
    2. Well, I will continue on with The Church's history since Christ, how we have had bad Pope's before and how The Church has always survived by Her traditions, not whims.
      Then I invite them to join the one Church that Christ founded. They get they idea where I stand.

      Delete
    3. Netmilsmom, I converted in 2003; however if Francis had been pope, I can't imagine that I would have even considered converting. Watching EWTN, going through Project Rachel counseling, and reading the lives of many saints and JP2's words to women who have had abortions drew me. I wanted Confession and Communion. But along the way I encountered a deacon who told me Confession was not necessary and was really just a way to celebrate having already been forgiven and a would be sponsor who told me she too had had an abortion but did not feel a need to confess this as it was between her and God. I also went through the annulment process which, thankfully, was easy for me as my first husband was a Catholic who married me outside of the Church.

      But "Pope" Francis? I don't think I could have seen past him to want to enter the Church.


      Seattle kim

      Delete
  2. I say, I wish he'd zip it and stop talking. Less is more in his case

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just say I believe he's not really Catholic and therefore not eligible to be a pope. I explain that we have never had a pope emeritus before and that it is possible that Benedict (who fled the wolves he feared) is still the pope. I also add that is also possible that there have been no legitimate popes since 1958.

    Then I point out the prophecies of St. Francis of Assissi and Our Lady of LaSalette.

    Seattle kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also quote Cardinal Ciappi (papal theologian of JP2): "In the 3rd secret of Fatima, it is foretold that the great apostasy in the Church will begin at the top."

    ReplyDelete
  5. St. Francis of Assisi (d. 1226): There will be an uncanonically elected pope who will cause a great Schism, there will be divers thoughts preached which will cause many, even those in the different orders, to doubt, yea even agree with those heretics which will cause My order to divide, then will there be such universal dissentions and persecutions that if these days were not shortened even the elect would be lost (Culleton, p. 130).

    Our Lady of LaSalette:
    "Rome will loose the faith and become the seat of the antichrist."


    Seattle kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. More prophecies and predictions found here:


    http://lasalettejourney.blogspot.com/2013/09/catholic-prophecies-regarding-anti-pope.html?m=1

    Sorry to have hogged your blog, Mr. Spaulding! ;-)

    Seattle Kim

    ReplyDelete